Monday, March 16, 2015

Thoughts on Volunteering


As many of you know, I volunteer one morning a week in my girlfriend's first grade classroom. Given that this is my fourth year, my first year students are now fourth graders.  It's so nice to see how they've grown and I love all of the hi's and hugs I get still receive from them in the hallways.

I've helped out in many capacities but this year Michelle asked me to work specifically on reading. She has a set of nine flip books, each with eighteen pages, which increase in difficulty as they progress.  The order goes from the pink at the bottom left up to the red and then down again to the yellow with the light green one being the most difficult.  (As an aside, not sure why the 2-11-15 was up on the board.  My photo was taken on 3-11-15)





I keep a journal with daily entries so I can keep track of each student's progress.  A few of my kids were able to whip through most of them in just a few sessions however most have slowly worked their way through the progression.  It's always a big accomplishment for them when they are able to leave the left column behind to work on the right one.

Obviously I can't get to every student every week but there are three in particular that need extra help so I try my best to fit them in as often as I can. This past Wednesday one of those kids mastered the highest level (we don't move on until they can read each color level proficiently) while two more achieved the light blue level.  The look of pride on their faces is indescribable.  I know how hard they've worked (I generally send them home with words they need to practice) so I am equally proud of them myself.  I will admit that there are days when I really just want to have a pajama day at home but knowing how the kids clamour to be called upon and the rewarding feeling I have when I leave makes it entirely worth it.





1 comment:

Catherine said...

What an awesome thing!!!