Sunday, March 1, 2015

Sunday Food Randomness


Where has this food been all of my life?







To the best of my knowledge, my mother never made butternut squash when I was growin up.  (Mom?)  In fact, I had never (ever) tried it until a month ago. After reading the health benefits I decided to give it a whirl.

I bought a package of precubed squash at my grocery store and not knowing exactly what to do with it I opted for my tried and true method when roasting potatoes.  I mixed the cubes in a bit of olive oil and some Good Seasonings dry salad dressing mix and baked them at 375 for about 20 minutes.

Don't let the looks of my photo fool you, this is one of the BEST things I've ever eaten.  My new favorite food.  As in, I could eat this every day kind of food. (Even Randy agrees.)








Friday night I paired it with salmon cakes and broccoli and perhaps it's my diet talking, but this was one very delicious meal.  (I wish I had some now for breakfast.  LOL!)










Here's how I whipped up the salmon cakes.  (Sorry, no true measurements.  I was winging it.)

fresh salmon, finely chopped  (I eyeballed it for what I though would make 3 patties)
about 1/3 cup of onion, finely chopped
1 egg
about 2 tablespoons of Progresso Italian breadcrumbs
about 2 tablespoons of canned chopped green chiles (I used Trader Joe's)
about 1/2 teaspoon of minced garlic
a few good squirts of Hellman's dijonnaisse (no calories to speak of)
one tablespoon of Hellman's light mayonnaise
a pinch of celery salt
about 1 teaspoon of cajun seasoning
salt and pepper

Spray a pan with some Pam and "fry" on stovetop about 12 minutes, flipping halfway.   Yummy!!!


I highly recommend trying them both out.  I don't think you'll be disappointed.









No comments: