Sunday, March 8, 2015

Career Day


Meg's middle school had their 8th grade field trip to Universal Studios Islands of Adventure on Friday.  It is an incentive trip that must be earned with good grades and excellent behavior throughout the year.  Obviously Meg qualified but she chose not to go.  (In a nutshell, the last two months of choosing groups (10 to a group) was one big drama-fest.  One day you were in a group, one day you were not.  Meg tired of this fairly early on.) Officially that meant she was to attend school (with those students who did not earn the right to go) but I reassured her that I would keep her home that day with me.  

Much to my surprise she asked if she could spend the day in my girlfriend's first grade classroom where she volunteers three mornings a week.  Meg is seriously considering becoming a teacher and this was something she really wanted to do.  When the first grade teacher across the hall asked me to substitute for her that same day, Meg encouraged me to take it.  I did so on the condition that my girlfriend and I got to "share" her. (The first grade classes this year have some extremely challenging students...as in "call the office for backup" kinds of students.)  Meg came and went between our two classes throughout the day and was a tremendous help to both of us.

The school was celebrating Dr. Seuss this week in honor of what would have been his 111th birthday. While the kids were all in Related Arts (music, science, art, PE, library) Meg took the opportunity to have a little fun on my whiteboard.










She drew it fairly small so it took the kids awhile before they noticed it.  Once they did though, Meg became a superhero.  LOL!!

At the end of the school day we were both exhausted but according to her, she was more tired because she had 40 kids, not 20.  ROFL!  Even so, she was very happy that she went.

Whether or not it has influenced her desire to become a teacher (in one way or the other) has yet to be seen.  It was a very good experience for her and I really enjoyed my unofficial "take your daughter to work" day.  Most of all though,  I'm especially proud that she chose to do something very helpful and productive rather than spending the day in her room watching YouTube or Netflix.





2 comments:

Catherine said...

I think it's awesome that she went and I'm sure she was a big help!

Unknown said...

WTG Meg! That's awesome that she helped both of you out!