Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Dupont State Forest


On Tuesday we drove to Dupont State Forest, a place new to us, to do a bit of easy hiking.  (Easy, because the trails were mainly old, well cleared truck roads with simple grades.)  The forest has many beautiful waterfalls and was the backdrop for several scenes for The Hunger Games.


Our first stop was Hooker Falls.






We traveled down to the base for a better view.  It was fairly slippery so Meg and I stayed behind while Randy took a much closer look.  (You can see him off to the right.)  It was just beautiful.






If you look closely at the first photo you can see the covered bridge at the top of the falls.  We hiked there for another view.





We then took off in the opposite direction to view Triple Falls, one of the sites of The Hunger Games.





Randy and I had time to kill because darling Meg was being a typical teenager.



"I'm cold."
"I'm hot."
"Do we have to?"
"I'm tired"
"I'm going as fast as I can."
and yes.....
"I'm gonna die."


Not even threats of Bigfoot snatching her could get her to walk any faster.  I swear, this girl has 4' legs with a 2" stride.  *sigh*



We eventually made it and it was totally worth it.  So very, very pretty.  (For Hunger Game fans, this is the spot where Katniss nearly stepped on poor Peeta.)






Even whiney girl perked up once we were there.  Of course it was a long trek back to the car but I'm very happy to report that "she didn't die."  LOL!




1 comment:

Catherine said...

OK, that's so funny...reminds me of Gwen's declarations. She has the messy bun DOWN, though, and so glad she didn't die....you'd have to eat all the peaches!