Friday, February 6, 2015

Final Touches


We've discussed screening in our front entryway/porch for over 15 years but it's one of those projects/expenses that was constantly pushed down to the bottom of the list.  Now that the house is newly painted it finally seemed like the right time to "git 'er done."   Here is the "before'' photo taken at Christmas.






And here is our "after."





We absolutely LOVE it and are kicking ourselves for not doing it a decade ago. Not only is it attractive but it is very functional as well.  Our living room has beautiful French doors that open into the screened patio but the room lacks windows for cross ventilation.  The new porch area now allows us to fully enjoy the winter months.  It also serves a secondary, but equally important, purpose. For years it's been home to multiple families of extremely stubborn wasps that apparently thrive on the continual rebuilding of nests along with the persistent terrorizing of friends and family. Guess What?  No More.

When the front doors are open the porch actually feels like an extension to our home.




We also took the plunge for a new washer and dryer to replace the set we purchased when we bought the house in 1997.  You've got to hand it to Kenmore.  They make fabulous appliances.   They were showing some wear and tear, but still going strong.  The issue I had (and I know most of you out there will not relate) but the constant bending to retrieve things from my dryer was getting to be too much. Since my surgery I no longer have excruciating hip pain but I do have a constant, nagging ache. (Bending doesn't bother it but the act of standing up from a bend is miserable.)  Randy, being the understanding physician that he is, offered to buy me a new w/d a year ago.  Julie, being the stubborn martyr that she is, always declined...until now.

I know you're going to look at this and scratch your head but I bought what was practical for me.  I knew I wanted a top loading washer (I just plain don't like front loaders) but the matching dryers were not going to solve my problem.  My solution was to purchase a pedestal dryer and a top loading washer.  No they don't match.  I don't care.  The "next guy" can buy whatever his or her heart desires. I bought these for me.





Not only has the extra large capacity reduced my laundry loads by more than half, I no longer have to bend down to retrieve the clothes.  It sounds like such a small thing but these beauties have made this chore sooooo much easier on me.  To quote LG....Life is Good.  :-)



1 comment:

Catherine said...

I hadn't considered the cross ventilation with the screened in porch...bonus!! And I love your wreaths!