Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Rewards of Volunteering


Even though Meg is now a middle schooler, I continue to volunteer weekly at her former elementary school, primarily in my girlfriend's first grade classroom. This year she has one little guy in particular who continues to struggle in reading and because this is his "second go around" as a first grader, getting him up to level has been a major priority.  Sadly this little guy also struggles with classroom behavior issues which are no doubt the result of the constant shuffling he's endured between his home and a local children's shelter.  From where I sit, he's a very sweet little boy who just needs some quality time with someone he can count on and his situation totally breaks my heart.  But together we have spent many an hour in the media center reading books and taking Accelerated Reader tests.  His reading has improved tremendously and I always look forward to my time with him.

So as you might imagine, I was recently saddened to find out that my little guy had a total meltdown in the classroom, resulting in a two day suspension.  While reviewing his Positive Behavior Reward Chart with the school guidance counselor he was asked about the things he likes to do.  (Good behavior brings rewards, bad behavior lands you in the office.)  At the top of his list was "Reading with Mrs. P."  When with me, this little guy is a man of few words so while I hoped he enjoyed our time together, I never really knew for sure.  I was truly moved to tears...still am.

On my next visit in to the school we had a little talk (I talked, he mainly nodded) and we made the following agreement.  If he can manage to "stay on green" every day I promised to go in on both Mondays and Thursdays to read with him.  I am delighted to say that "so far, so good."

Footnote...We are now in our final weeks of school.  If all goes well at home, he will more than likely not be in our elementary school next year.  I'm already sad thinking about how much I will miss him.

5 comments:

Catherine said...

Such a special time...something he will always remember, I'm sure.

Lynne said...

That is so neat! I am sue you and he both will remember your time together!

Mom said...

Proud to be your mother.

Helmka Family said...

Awww...that is so sweet!
TFS!
Karen

Melanie said...

Enjoy the time you have left and good luck to that little boy. You're such a good person, Julie!