Saturday, May 18, 2013

Mason Jar Salads

I first came across the concept of a mason jar salad about a year and a half ago on an internet blog.  Since that time they've become a very popular pin on Pinterest as well.  Why it took me so darned long to get around to trying them, I'll never know.

If you aren't familiar with the concept, mason jar salads are just that....a green salad stuffed inside a mason jar.  The only real "rules" are that you should put the salad dressing in first, followed by any watery type items such as tomatoes and cucumbers.  The greens, nuts and cheeses should be on top.  The popularity stems from the idea that you prep once and enjoy all week.  Here's a photo of the ones I made on Monday of this week.  I can assure you that six days later the sole survivor will be just as delicious as the first one was earlier this week.


I used pint sized large mouth jars (because that's what I had clean, on hand) and started with my dressing, either mango poppy seed or Olive Garden Vinegrette, available at Sam's.  To this I added tomatoes, chopped cucumbers, red peppers, red onions, and shredded carrots.  I then piled in fresh spinach and spring mix.  Just keep pushing it all down.  You'll be surprised at how much one pint can hold!  (This is why the dressing appears to be much larger in quantity than what I put in.)    To finish up I sprinkled in some glazed pecans and a bit of gorgonzola cheese and then put the lids on tightly.  Almost everyday now I've pulled one out for lunch, dumping the contents into a bowl.  Just do a quick stir and eat.  Everything is still crunchy fresh, like it was on day one.

You'll see a quart jar in the back.  I used it to store my remaining chopped veggies which I have used for recipes throughout the week.  Again, the contents are super fresh and crunchy.

Next week I'm going to add in some quart sized salads.  The pints are perfect alongside a dinner meal or as a small lunch but there are some days that I want a BIG SALAD.  (Name that show.)  The quarts will be perfect for that.  I highly recommend trying them!



2 comments:

Helmka Family said...

What a great idea!
TFS!
Karen

Catherine said...

What an awesome idea!!! I've seen them on Pinterest...