Monday, January 18, 2016

Like Father, Like Son


One of Jay's nicknames was (and still is) Garbage Gut. The kid would eat anything and everything, rarely ever leaving so much as a morsel on his plate. (or mine, for that matter.  LOL!)

When he was four we visited an Italian restaurant.  He asked the waitress how many shrimp came with the meal.  When she answered "six" he, without pause, said "I'll have the spaghetti."  No more kid's menus for him.

Later, in grade school, he asked to take his lunch because "the hot lunches aren't big enough."  He started packing his own lunches and let me tell you, he could have bought four cafeteria lunches for the price of what went into those home lunches.  LOL!!

I have a feeling little Fin is going to follow in his daddy's footsteps.  In fact, I've already started referring to him as "Son of Garbage Gut."  This little guy does an awesome job of eating despite the fact that at 13 months, he is only just now cutting his first teeth.  It's amazing to see how much he can fit in that little belly of his.

Case in point.  I snapped this photo last week while visiting.  During this meal he ate an entire tilapia fillet, several raspberries, not quite a whole Clementine orange, about a third of a banana and a nice sized scoop of macaroni & cheese. Every so often he would share with Marley (their border collie) but more often than not, he was just teasing her.






This photo sent to me earlier this month cracks me up.  Believe it or not, this is from the kid's menu. The bowl contains fish nuggets, baked rather than fried. He didn't finish this all off by himself but I imagine he made quite a dent.






He also loves to shop for food.  






As a kid, Jay would watch The Frugal Gourment on PBS and present me with a shopping list for something he wanted us to make.  To this day, he still enjoys cooking and I often get recipes by email or food photos by text.  I think it's a safe bet that Fin will have his own Pinterest account before long.







1 comment: