Monday, January 25, 2016

A Very Nice Surprise


I was in the midst of editing a few photos for today's post when something in this morning's email caught my eye.  The subject line read "New Substitute Teaching Rates in Martin County."


We are pleased to announce our new substitute teaching rates for Martin County Schools as of January 1, 2016.   Associates degree or 60 Semester hours hourly rate $11.50 or daily rate, $86.25Bachelor’s degree hourly rate $13.00 or daily rate $97.50Master’s degree hourly rate $14.00 or daily rate $105.00Doctorate degree hourly rate $15.00or daily rate $112.50.


Given their former rates of $9.76 per hour (for Associates, Bachelors and Masters degrees) and $10.25 for certified teachers, this not only represents a significant increase, it also recognizes those of us with higher degrees.  Truth be told, I'm flabberghasted.  (I was totally expecting to read that I was getting a fifty cents an hour increase.  Seriously.)

As you all know, I do not sub for the money.  In fact, with what our county paid, I continued to refer to subbing as "volunteering."  I enjoy the kids (well, about 90% of them...just being real) and because I only accept jobs from Meg's former elementary school I considerate it "paying it forward" to the teachers and staff that taught and cared for her so well during those crucial years.  The district has finally wised up to the fact that there aren't many souls like myself who would even consider doing such a thing.

Case in point, last Friday I substituted in a kindergarten class of eighteen 5-6 year olds (tell me that wasn't work!) for which, under the former rate, I would have made just over $68 before taxes. Trust me when I say that, depending on the class, there are some days when I'd wished I'd given someone else $70 to take my spot. LOL!!!

Anyway....all of this to say "I GOT A RAISE!"

Will it make a difference in my life?

No.

(To put it in perspective...the pay scale just went from my 1986 hourly rate of $9.76 to my 1990 hourly rate of $14.00.)  

BUT, it will make a huge difference in the lives of other overworked and underpaid substitutes. It will also attract a new pool of qualified (key word here) substitutes which in turn helps the teachers.   Baby steps, for sure, but it's progress and it's great that the district has finally stepped up.


Footnote:  Randy says he's quitting his job(s) and expects me to work EVERY day.  :-)   Sure thing, hon.