Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Update - Summer Reading List


This is an update to my Summer Reading List post from two weeks ago.

I finished The Lost Ancestor last week.  From my Goodreads review...

Morton is a present day English forensic genealogist who is trying to find out what happened to a 17 year old girl in 1911. The story was interesting enough to keep my attention however the writing is a bit eh. (A lot of short, choppy dialogue.) I haven't decided if I will continue with the series.
_________________________

I also finished Ford County over the weekend.  My Goodreads review...

Ford County is a compilation of short stories that focus on a few of the more colorful characters living in the same locale as Grisham's "A Time to Kill" and "Sycamore Row"novels. The stories were interesting but the last one was definitely my favorite.

I prefer an I depth novel over short stories so, with the exception of the final story, they all left me with no real feeling of closure. Good, but just not "my thing."

____________________________

It was at this point that my Reading ADD stepped in.  After much online searching Meg decided to read A Ghost for Christmas   My Goodreads review...

My 13 year old daughter chose this as part of her summer reading program. (Read that as....her mom is forcing her to read. *wink*) If she has to read, she prefers mysteries and chose this one from Amazon based upon the cute cover. 

As always, I read in parallel with her.  As it turns out, this is not a YA book but it does read like one. The writing style is very simplistic and the storyline is definitely chick lit in nature. Because of this, I'm personally giving it only 2 stars but she does plan to continue on with the series.


My "directions" to Meg were that she needed to read 2-3 books this summer, the final number based on the complexity of the books.  She finished this "fluff novel" in one afternoon and immediately informed me that she was "good for a month." LOL!  I'm giving her a break but if she chooses short fluffy books, she will be reading more than three.  :-)

_________________________

My Reading ADD didn't stop there.  My BFF Cristina belongs to a book club that sounds sooooo fun. I've been wanting to join them but they aren't accepting new members at this time.  :-(  They are however meeting in Boca Raton this coming Saturday at some sort of Asian foot massage place (????) and Cristina invited me to join them.  I asked what book they would be discussing.  Would you believe Orphan Train? I'm still #2 on my library's wait list so I bit the bullet and bought it from Amazon.  Ummm....totally worth $7.99.  I started it yesterday morning and can hardly put it down.  Loving it!  I intend to finish it this evening.


_________________________

Adding to my Reading ADD, Station Eleven came up on my library wait list so that one will be next in my queue.  (We only get two weeks to read the books at which point they "disappear" and you can only renew if no one else is waiting, which is rarely the case.)  I see too that I'm next in line for Paper Towns so it looks like my remaining four "books to read by summer's end" are put on hold for the time being.



I'd really love to dive back in to Orphan Train but my pretty princess will be turning 14 tomorrow so I have a special birthday card to make.  :-)








2 comments:

Catherine said...

Interesting stuff!

Lynne said...

Wow, that is a lot of really good reading! Enjoy!