Monday, June 1, 2015

Summer Reading List


My pleasure reading tends to come and go in spurts.  I will spend two months reading in every spare moment and then not pick up a book for the next two months.  I'm also one of those who tends to read several books at one time, meaning I don't finish one before deciding to start another.  I like to have choices, depending on my mood.

Right now I have six books in the various stages of completion.  That's too many for even me.  My summer reading goal is to finish at least four of the six that I've started.  My current list, starting with the four I'm determined to finish, include...

Ford County by John Grisham.  I love Grisham novels.  A Time to Kill and Sycamore Row, both set in Ford County, are hands down my two favorites.  I currently have this one on loan from the library and need to finish it quickly.

The Lost Ancestor by Nathan Dylan Goodwin.  I came upon this book while listening to one of my favorite podcasts, Genealogy Gems.   They started a book club last fall with their first selection being Orphan Train.  This book has been on my "want to read" list for months and after hearing their discussion with the author, I've bumped it up to the top.  Not wanting to fall further behind I decided to jump right in with their second book so I can be "in the know" when they have their next club discussion.

Sanibel Flats By Randy Wayne White.  I started this one last fall immediately following a trip to Sanibel Island.  I'm really enjoying the story but the fact that it's an actual paperback is bogging me down.  I much prefer the larger text and lighting of electronic books.

Earth Abides by George R. Stewart.  I stumbled across this one while searching for audio books on my library website. Apparently it's somewhat of a classic, a post apocalyptic novel written in 1949. The premise sounded interesting so it's become my summer walking audio book.



The next two books are quite lengthy.  I'd like to make more progress in them both but have no grand illusions of finishing by summer's end.

Dragonfly in Amber by Diane Gabaldon.  This time traveling historical novel is the second in a series of eight (?) books.  I really love the story but at 900+ pages a book, they aren't ones to be read in a weekend.

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving.  True Confession Time.  I started this one two years ago and for some reason, it just got left behind.  I was enjoying it but I think the length of the book bogged me down.

In addition to the aforementioned I will also be reading in parallel with Meg this summer.  She is not happy with me right now because I had the audacity to tell her that she has to read at least two books over the summer, an instruction that I fully intend to enforce.  Right now I am the meanest mom on the planet. (Seriously, you'd think I'd asked her to mow and weed the yard every week.) Wish me luck on this front.  It could get very ugly.


Anyone else have a summer reading list?



3 comments:

Catherine said...

No particular reading list here....good luck finishing yours!

Lynne said...

I saw on Goodreads that you were reading that Geaneology book. I had to go looking at that book and series then. Very interesting! I plan to add it to my to read list!

As always I have several on my list. One at the top of the list right now is The Phantom of Fifth Avenue. It is a book about a real life woman who died a few years ago. She was incredibly rich and lived the end of her life in seclusion in hospitals. This book, I think is about her early life in Butte, Montana, which we are headed to visit next week so Rem can look at a college there. But my mom is reading the book and said she thinks I would enjoy the book and the setting since we are going there. There is another book about the same woman called Empty Mansions that has been on my to read list for a long time too.

Anita Ford said...

Wish I could get into reading on a screen, but I love my books too much. I don't know why. I like the weight in my hand and seeing immediately how far I am in the book. And I love bookmarks. I'm hopeless.