Friday, June 5, 2015

Did Pigs Fly?


An amazing thing happened yesterday.

I went to the beach and enjoyed it.



*insert flabbergasted look here*





I know!

Incredible, isn't it?

If you know me, you know I hate to be hot.  HATE IT.  Heat makes me grumpy. Sun makes me irritable.  Sweat makes me uncomfortable.  Sand makes me itchy.  Combine them all and you get the beach.  I avoid the beach. Except in the evenings.  I do enjoy the beach in the evening.

What does this have to do with yesterday?  Well my poor deprived daughter has been begging to go to the beach forever.  She knows how much I despise it but her persistance (and my mommy guilt) pervailed so I agreed to take her and Gavin to the local beach.  I bought myself a new umbrella, positioned my chair for optimal shade, pulled out my Kindle Paperwhite and actually enjoyed my time there.  It wasn't too terribly hot and there was just enough breeze to be comfortable without being too much.  I sat there for almost three hours without one ounce of grumpiness.

What I loved most though was that my soon to be 14 year old daughter and her boyfriend actually enjoyed my company.  They spent a good amount of time in the water but they also spent a fair amount of time with me.  They talked to me.  They weren't embarrassed to be seen with me.  They actually enjoyed my company!

There was one point where Meg chose to ignore me and Gavin.  Why? Because he and I were discussing summer reading material for her.  ROFLMBO! Yeah, she totally tuned us both out to make sand castles.




We were soon forgiven however and our good time continued.

The day I'd been dreading turned out to not only be tolerable, but enjoyable.

Don't hold me to it, but I might even be convinced to do it again.  *gasp*





2 comments:

Catherine said...

I am totally with you on all things related to heat.

Unknown said...

That's great that the kids spent quality time with you. I'm glad you actually enjoyed yourself. (I love the beach!)