Wednesday, March 20, 2013

St. Patty's Day

Meggie is very proud of her Irish heritage (maternal grandfather's side) and for this reason, St. Patrick's Day has turned into a big holiday in our house.

For the past 5 or 6 years now I've gathered together a Bucket 'O Green (green candy, toys, clothes, silly items, etc.) which I set out for her on the morning of St. Patty's Day.  Last year I did something a bit different and hid her bucket, providing her with treasure hunt clues which lead her to the goodies. Apparently it was a big hit because she begged for another hunt this year.

This year's bucket and treasure hunt clues....




The first clue...




The hunt was on...






Her final clue was this....


‘Ye mum is not old... 
    only “something and fifty”. 
When she had her BIG birthday
   she got something quite nifty.  


....the answer being my convertible, of course.  But naturally my smarty pants daughter had her own input.  As she read me the clue she stopped after "something and fifty", looked at me and said "yeah, ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY!"  She then laughed and said "You walked right into that one Mom."  I guess maybe I did.  LOL!





She was very appreciative of my efforts and loved all of her goodies.  One of the first things she did was dress up Daddy.




Later that afternoon I headed to a local pub to celebrate St. Patty's Day with friends however our primary purpose was to support our friend Sandi who lost her dear husband to Hodgkins Lymphoma a few years ago.  After his death she formed Dodge for the Cure, a local charity which benefits the oncology department at the hospital.  (Click here for information.) What does this have to do with St. Patrick's Day?  Well, for the past several years Carson's Pub has generously donated a percentage of their St. Patty's Day earnings to Sandi's charity.





Green beer for a good cause?  Say no more, we're there!

That's Sandi on the far right.  





3 comments:

Catherine said...

Love the green mustache...and what a wonderful fundraiser!

Melanie said...

You are such a fun mom! I love the green mustache too. We were very boring on St. Patrick's Day this year. Usually Patrick makes a bigger deal out of it just because that's his name!

Helmka Family said...

What Fun!!! Love your hubby in his green mustache and glad you got out for some St. Patrick's Day fun and for a good case too.
TFS!
Karen