Friday, February 24, 2012

A Proud Mommy Moment

What an evening!  I couldn't possibly be prouder of our daughter.

Meg was given a "by" on the science fair last year due to the onset of her CRMO so this was all a first for us.  The county awards ceremony was held at one of our two county's middle schools and Meg's eyes bugged out when she saw this.



The stage was filled with tables of trophies and beautiful ribbons.  (Remember, the best way to capture my daughter's attention is to tell her there's a trophy involved.)  She was awestruck, to say the least.  I told her no matter how she placed, I was very proud of her and purposely mentioned how beautiful the ribbons were hoping that she wouldn't be too disappointed if she didn't come home with a trophy.  (Trophies are important, remember?)

They started the ceremony by announcing first the 4th grade winners followed by the 5th grade winners in each science category...physical science, health and medicine, environmental, etc.  Meg's category, product testing, was announced last.  I think she got more nervous as the hour went on.  Ribbons were handed out for Honorable Mention and 5th through 3rd places, in that order.  The first and second place winners were given trophies.  Our school had six students place at the county level and our principal was there to cheer each one of them on.

When they finally got to Meg's category we waited as our county coodinator called off each winner, starting with Honorable Mention.  The more names she called, the more excited we got....


Meg's project won 2nd place in the county!!! 

I think she and I were both stunned.  She'd worked very hard and even though I knew she'd done everything "by the book", placement is based on the opinions of 4 judges, most of them teachers but only a few of them science teachers. Yay for knowledgeable judges!




Being the proud, sentimental mom that I am, it was really hard not to cry.  She may go on to win an Academy Award one day for her theatrics *wink* but this will be the proudest moment for me.  I was still taking photos this morning.  :-)




She resented me terribly that long month of November but last night, right before bed, she gave me a huge hug and said "I love you Mom." It doesn't get any better than that.

2 comments:

Joyce said...

Wonderful!

Catherine said...

Definitely a real Mommy Moment there! Woohoo!!