Monday, July 13, 2015

Brewmaster in Training


My nephew decided to spend a few days with my parents immediately following our family trip to the Keys.  As we were chatting via text one evening he sent me "some pics for your blog."  And heck, yeah, these are totally blogworthy!

You may remember this post where I mentioned that he was our first Noodle Apprentice, carrying on the family tradition of homemade chicken and noodles. I think he and Grandpa have made several batches since then so our family has high expectations from this young man.  Well apparently he is now a Brewmaster in Training having spent one afternoon learning the fine art of craft brewing.

I would be remiss if I didn't include this Official Disclaimer....NO ALCOHOL WAS CONSUMED during the making of this beer.  It was strictly a bonding experience and scientific endeavor on the part of my nephew.  :-)

So now to the photos....

They were making a porter, a really strong and dark beer.  Not my personal favorite but hey, I'll 'take one for the team' when it comes time to taste testing.




As you will see, my dad has quite the set-up.






Craft brewing is serious business.




In all honesty, I'm actually a wee bit jealous.  I've been wanting to shadow Dad for ages and really need to make time to do it.  Here's a little known fact about me....I have a BS degree in Microbiology from the University of South Florida in Tampa.  My goal upon graduating was to secure a job at the Anheuser Busch brewery which was located just down the street from the university.  Yep, my career aspirations were to "make beer."  ROFL!  Thankfully my personal situation around the time of graduation led me down a much different (and considerably more lucrative) career path but I've never lost the desire to want to make beer.  So Dad...August?  Kolsch?  








2 comments:

Catherine said...

It's all about the science..... :)

Dad said...

August is open. You bring the supplies.