Saturday, April 5, 2014

You Guessed It! More Cards.

If you're tired of reading/viewing card posts then you may as well stop here.  No hard feelings, I promise.  ;)

Today I'm sharing the cards I created using the Day 9 techniques in the Clean & Simple 3 class.  The theme for the day was Textural Effects and the techniques were Dry Embossing, Embossing Paste and Embossing Powder.  

Dry Embossing ---  An embossed image is one that is raised off the surface of your cardstock.  For cardmakers it typically involves running your cardstock through a die cutter with an embossing folder and embossing pad (which prevents the machine from cutting through your cardstock.)  Julie Ebersole demonstrated how you can get an impression within an impression by using both an embossing folder and a traditional steel die.  I love the effect I got.  








Embossing Paste --- Embossing paste is just that...a creamy paste that you can to cardstock that, when dry, gives a raised impression.  I used a stencil to apply some paste here and there over my completed card.   




The flower in the above card was created using embossing powder which leads us into Technique 3.


Embossing Powder ---  This technique involves using a slow drying ink to stamp an image (ex:  pigment inks or Versamark), applying an embossing powder over the wet image and then heat setting it with a heat tool.  As the powder dries it turned shiny and leaves a raised image on your card.  

For this card I used the same design as above using Versamark ink and a mustard colored embossing powder.  





The actual technique demonstrated in the class involved a special kind of ink (some sort of sticky glue) to which glitter was applied.  I improvised with a very sticky double sided tape from which I die cut balloons and added Martha Stewart glitter. I normally shy away from glitter because of it's messiness but I must say, her glitter is awesome.  It's very fine and it stays exactly where it's put.  








In this final variation I fussy cute two of the balloons and raised them up with pop dots.




That's it for Day 9.  I'll be back soon for Day 11, the final day of the class.  (Aren't you happy?  LOL!)

(and Catherine...I'm anxiously awaiting your class examples!)


1 comment:

Catherine said...

These look really wonderful....and my day one cards are up!