Friday, November 4, 2011

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting wabbits

Last night, right before bed, Meg comes to us saying she heard some weird noises outside the kitchen window.  Randy assures her that it's just Sparky but she wasn't convinced.  Knowing that she was about to play the "can I sleep with you?" card, he went out to investigate.  A few minutes later he walked in with this in his hands, rescued straight out of the jaws of Sparky (that hissy cat you see in my banner heading.)  It was a youngster and thankfully appeared to be uninjured.  Of course Meg immediately asked if we could keep him but we both simultaneously chimed in "NO!"  Randy did however want to keep him inside for the night so the poor thing could recover.






They got a box, set him inside, and Meg made sure he (she?) was quite comfortable.  When I asked if it could escape, Randy laughed and reassured me that there was no way.  He set the box on top of the toy bench in the kitchen and loosely closed the lid.

At 4:00 I heard a weird noise.  I listened for a few seconds, heard another one and then I woke Randy up to investigate.  I just knew that rabbit was on the loose.  Sure enough, when Randy didn't return, I poked my head out the door to find him on his hands and knees with a flashlight.  Grrrrreat.

We spent about 30 minutes looking for it with no luck.  It could have squeezed in anywhere.  (He had initially put it in Jasmine's kennel but it squeezed through the bars.)  I headed back to bed lying there thinking about rabbit droppings and bunny decomp.  Thankfully Randy popped in about 15 minutes later with the little thing cupped in his hands.  He had let Sparky in and sure enough, that darned cat found it within 60 seconds!  Randy had to pry the poor thing out of his mouth all over again.  (So much for trying to de-traumatize the poor thing.)

Knowing Meg would be upset if she didn't get to say good-by it went back into the box until 6:00, this time with the lid weighted down.  With Sparky safely contained on the patio, Randy let him go in the woodsy area at the back part of our property.  I sure hope the poor thing did a "Run, Forest, Run!" to safety.

3 comments:

Helmka Family said...

It is so adorable!
TFS!
Karen

Catherine said...

HOLY COW!!! That's just so....wow! Hope it ran its bunny run really fast.

Melanie said...

I would have freaked about having a bunny loose in my house too. Luckily, my kids don't ask about pets and we don't bring up the subject.