Sunday, May 8, 2016

Welcome to the QZ


It's been one hellava week around here.  I've been fighting off a cold which has yet to take full hold but is making me feel extremely tired.  I've slept a good portion of the last several days and still am not feeling the greatest.

My son's family, on the other hand, has been dealing with something far, far worse.  After a normal day of play, Fin began vomiting early Wednesday evening.  Within a few hours it was accompanied by diarrhea.  In a conversation with Jay, he told me that Fin's most recent diaper ranked #2 on his list of all time foul smells.  He then proceeded to tell me about his #1 experience with a former patient. I'll spare you the gory details.  In fact, I wish he'd spared me.

As you can probably guess by Friday morning they were all sick.  I was subbing that day so was unable to run any errands for them until later.  Apparently there was something they really needed because Jay set off for the store but not before leaving instructions for Colleen that she was to call Publix and have them check the restroom if he hadn't returned in 45 minutes.  UGH!  Thankfully he did make it home without incident.  If you're a parent, I know you can relate. They have been officially christened.

Since Friday they have both missed at least one day of work apiece.  Jay did go in this morning but was back home two hours later.  Fin is still having watery stools and not eating much but otherwise doing much better.  I was scheduled to have him tonight since they are both planning to work tomorrow.  I made arrangements to pick him up later this evening but my family has now "voted me off the island."  In other words, I've been banished to the QZ (Quarantine Zone).  I will now be going over to their house around 6 AM tomorrow to watch Fin there.  I plan to go armed with a face mask, gloves and Clorox wipes.  I'm thinking maybe my Dexter ensemble from a past Halloween may be in order. (What do you think?  LOL!)




Meg has already told me that I will be in isolation for twenty-four hours once returning home.   Trust me, staying in my room for an entire day with no one to bug me sounds perfectly okay with me.  :-)


In other news, Meg surprised me with the cutest "cake" this morning for Mother's Day.  She and I were at Publix recently when I spied some lemon crumb donuts on the Entenmann's display.  I am the only one in the house who loves lemon baked goods so I rarely, if ever, buy them and of course, passed them up on this occasion as well.  She obviously took note because here is what she presented me this morning, complete with a hand carved strawberry rosette.




I thought it was an extremely thoughtful gift.   And for those wondering, I ate two and put the remainder in the freezer.  :-)

My plan for the remainder of my Mother's Day is to make a run to Target that I was too tired to do yesterday and then rest up for my shift in the QZ tomorrow. Wish me luck.  I'm gonna need it.










1 comment:

Catherine said...

The "cake" is just so cute.....what a thoughtful idea!