Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Door to Nowhere

I'm still busy with renovations (mostly bathroom at this point) but I wanted to answer the question that kept popping up in the comment field - "How do I feel about an visible exterior door that leads to nowhere."  (Obviously you all know my perfection tendencies quite well.  LOL!)

My answer is, "I'm ok with it" but let me explain why that's so in photographs. This is a photo of the far corner of my screened patio/pool area.




On the left is one of my bedroom windows.  On the right is a window that leads to the living room.  Behind the shower curtain, which serves both as a dressing area and a screen to shield pool supplies and toys, are two doors.  




The door with the window leads directly to a half bath which sits immediately outside the doors to our master bedroom.  The door on the left is the one that now leads to nowhere.  If we are in the pool we always enter the house through the tiled bathroom.  If we're simply enjoying the outdoors we will enter through one of the two sets of beautiful French doors.  (one set leads to the kitchen, the other to the living room)  I'd venture a guess that most of my family and friends do not even realize that the left door exists.

We've been in this house for fifteen years and will no doubt stay another fifteen.  Should the next owners desire a private entrance all that needs to be done is to open the exterior door and tear out the drywall.  No damage was done to the door itself so it will be as it's been for twenty odd years.  

Am I nuts?

2 comments:

Catherine said...

Looks like a good solution!

Helmka Family said...

Totally understand now! I see too that the curtain hides the extra door, so you don't see it all the time.
Karen