Monday, February 24, 2014

On Getting Older


Over the years I have come to grips with the fact that I am getting older and am slowly learning to embrace my husband's philosophy that "only the lucky have birthdays."  He's right.  At a time when many my age (52, there I said it) are grandmothers I am blessed with a second round of motherhood.  Twelve year old Meg definitely keeps me young at heart and for that, I am so grateful.  So while I can trick my mind into believing that I'm in my thirties, my son's birthdays force me back to reality, at least for a little while.  Last week Jay turned 31.  Wow.  It is still so hard for me to comprehend.

I "text hounded" (my new term) him all day for a photo.  Forget that he was busy working a twelve hour shift at his new job.  I'm his mom and I want a birthday photo!   For some illogical reason, he ignored me.  Later that evening however he did oblige me with this....


    



Ok, I deserved it.  But naturally, it only made me text hound him more.  He finally relented and sent me this...





I take great pride in the fact that he's happy and doing well.  It makes me feel like I did my job as a parent and can only hope the same for my daughter.  What I can't figure out though is how a thirty-five year old woman could have a thirty-one year old son.  It must be that fuzzy math thing.


2 comments:

Catherine said...

Definitely fuzzy math, but I'm totally with you!

Melanie said...

You're young at heart, and that's what counts!