Saturday, July 9, 2016

Pride and Prejudice (with a little bit of Fin)


As I mentioned in my last post, I was home barely 24 hours when I left for my June bookclub meeting down south, spending the weekend with my girlfriend who coincidentally also just returned home from Europe.  (Hers was a trip to Switzerland and Italy)

Our club selection last month was Eligible, A Modern Retelling of Pride and Prejudice.  I don't know about you, but I'd never read Jane Austen's classic and figured this was as good a time as any to do so.  I decided to read them both "in tandem", basically reading a few chapters of P&P followed by Eligible, followed by P&P, etc.  I returned home from Europe with less than 10% to read in both books, which I finished the night before our meeting.

To my surprise I actually really enjoyed Pride and Prejudice, much more so than the modern day version.  (Eligible was good, just not great.  And while it isn't necessary to know the original tale, I do think it adds to the story of Eligible.) Anyway...I am now on somewhat of a P&P kick.

My girlfriend and I rented the 2005 version of Pride and Prejudice (with Kiera Knightly) and I have to say I was a bit disappointed.  The role of Darcy was totally miscast in my opinion.  A few days later I discovered an older PBS miniseries (1995) starring Colin Firth as Darcy and it is much, much better.  I haven't quite finished it yet but I'm already thinking about my next P&P movie. Any guesses?  Duh!  Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.  LOL!!!  I'll let ya know what I think.  :-)

_____________________________
And because I know my mom is missing the little guy I'm including a short clip of our recent trip to what we locally refer to as "the fountains."  They are located in a beautiful riverside park (river as in the intracoastal waterway) that is less than 10 minutes away and absolutely free to the public.  I know we will be spending quite a bit of time there this summer.













1 comment:

Catherine said...

He's a cutie and I'll be those fountains feel really good on a hot day!