Tuesday, October 8, 2013

New "Adventures"


As you all know, I have volunteered in a first grade classroom for several years now and absolutely love it. In addition, this year I am also helping out in the second grade classroom of the little boy I tutored in reading last spring.  I am so happy that his new teacher was receptive to my offer because I feel this overwhelming desire to stay close and be someone he can always count on when needed.

This past August I decided to finally do what I'd been mulling over for quite some time....I applied for a substitute teaching position in our county.  In September I received word that I was chosen to be in their first new group of the year.  On October 1st I attended a mandatory all day workshop and am now "fully credentialed."   

To start, I have decided to limit my positions to our local elementary school where I know most of the staff and am obviously quite comfortable with the daily routines.  I haven't yet worked but do have my first two assignments.  I'll be subbing for Meg's former 5th grade teacher next Thursday and have a week in January lined up for one of the first grade teachers.  Given that they all know me, I have no doubt lots of work will come my way.  (Teachers often call in their own subs.)  It will be up to me to decide how much I want to take on. 

I've always hoped that when I made the return to work it would be for the enjoyment of the job, not necessarily the money.  This position couldn't be more true. (I made more per hour in 1986 than I'm going to receive as a sub!) I'm a bit nervous for this first assignment but am really looking forward to it. 

Thirty years ago the LAST thing in the world I ever wanted to be was a teacher.  Now it's the first thing that came to mind when deciding to ease myself back into the "working" world.  Life certainly is funny.  



 

4 comments:

Catherine said...

Isn't it interesting how our views of things change?
You'll be great!

Laura said...

That's awesome Julie!! Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Congratulations and best of luck! Life is funny that way!

Lynne said...

You will be so great! I am sure you will be very busy!