Wednesday, March 26, 2014

C&S 3 Cards - Day 3

The techniques demonstrated on Day 3 of the Clean & Simple Card Class were Scenic Stamping, Masking and Stamp Layering.

Scenic Stamping --- My current favorite card designer is Julie Ebersol.  I just love everything she does, in fact, I wanna be her when I grow up.  You can find her at PaperTrufflez.com and EllenHutson.com. Her technique involved using stamps to create the illusion of depth.  Her example of a stylish Parisian girl on a moped in front of the Eiffel tower was gorgeous. Unfortunately I do not own such a stylish stamp set so I had to settle for a monkey and a palm tree.  LOL!!!  My example is not nearly as breathtaking as hers but I had a lot of fun doing it and plan to play with watercolors much more often.







Masking --- This technique involves masking off a portion of your card front before applying any stamping, stenciling and/or embossing.  I did a test run by heat embossing a woodgrain background in white before watercoloring over it with a distress ink.




It's hard to see but I used a watercolor pencil for the sentiment and then applied Glossy Accents over the top.  (Much prettier IRL.)  The background technique worked perfectly so I proceeded with the masking.


I totally messed this one up by attempting to watercolor prior to heating my embossing powder. (hint...doesn't work. LOL!)  I saved it by cutting off the right side of the front panel and adhering it to the edge of the card.




Third time's a charm....



Stamp Layering ---  For this technique I played around with several versions of background and circle stamps.  Here's what I came up with...









I couldn't find a small circle stamp so I used the end of a pencil eraser which works perfectly.  I applied Glossy Accents to all of the dots so once again, they are much prettier IRL.  (I really, really need to learn a better way to photograph my cards as my photos do not do them justice in any way.  You may notice the different actions I applied to different cards trying to find just the right one.  So far, I haven't.)  

Of the three techniques the watercoloring was definitely my favorite.  I LOVED coloring as a child and had so much fun with this card.  Even Meg (who HATES to color) got into the act with me.  I definitely see myself doing this much, much more.  As for the other two techniques, probably not so much.

As always, thanks for stopping by.  I'll post more of my class examples as I finish them.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

These are totally fun...I need to get honking on some of them...after I get caught up with PL. :)